ALSO READ: Seven beauty treatments using turmeric
According to a study in the Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 30 percent of men grow a set of man boobs at some point in their life. This is called Gynecomastia which is the swelling of breast tissue in boys or men, caused by an imbalance of the hormones oestrogen and testosterone. It affects one breast or both.
The signs and symptoms of man boobs include:
- Swollen breast gland tissue
- Breast tenderness
This is triggered by a decrease in the amount of the hormone testosterone compared to oestrogen. These are the causes of man boobs:
- Natural hormone changes- Oestrogen is commonly known to be a female hormone, but men also produce it, though in small quantities. However, male oestrogen levels that are too high or are out of balance with testosterone levels can cause gynecomastia.
- Aging- There are hormonal changes that occur with normal aging which causes the man boobs especially in men who are overweight.
- Liver failure and cirrhosis– Hormonal instability is related to liver problems and also, medications taken for cirrhosis are associated with gynecomastia.
- Malnutrition and starvation- We are required to eat a balanced diet and once your body is deprived of adequate nutrition the testosterone levels drop causing hormonal imbalance.
- Consumption of alcohol and drugs
- Different medications consumed- Some medications that can lead to man boobs include antibiotics, ulcers medication, cancer treatment, heart medications, AIDS medication, anti-anxiety medication and anti-androgens that are used to treat prostate enlargement.
According to Mayo clinic there are few ways to prevent man boobs that include:
- Avoid illegal drugs like steroids and androgens, amphetamines, heroin, and marijuana.
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Learn to review your medications especially if you are taking medication known to cause gynecomastia, ask your doctor if there are other choices.
ALSO READ: Six foods you should never eat before bed